Thursday, February 12, 2009

Can't Cry, Mommy

Yesterday, Keira caught me crying, wailing really. We just lost a friend and it hurts so bad. The pain in my heart is so intense, I hate imagining how my friend and their sons feel. Keira all of a sudden picked up on how upset I was and she started bawling with me. It was so precious to see my 2 1/2 year old so compassionate. Her little chin was quivering, tears streaming down her face, whimpering to me the entire time, "Can't cry, Mommy, can't cry. Can't cry, Mommy, can't cry." We were trying to wipe each other's tears, but we couldn't keep up. The weeping was such relief, just crying out to God, it helps... still hurts right now, but helps.
I can't get the story out of my head about when Jesus got to Mary and Martha after their brother Lazarus had died. It says that Jesus was deeply troubled and he wept. Jesus wept. He understands the heartache. He's been there.
So, Keira, my dear, weeping is okay.

3 comments:

Christine H. said...

How precious!
I think with all the death I've experienced in the past year, my daughters are used to seeing me cry now. The only thing they ask is if I am crying because I am sick (ie. have a headache) or if I am crying for someone else. Amber gets it that we cry with our friends who are hurting. That is the good thing that comes out of death...my girls are learning what compassion is and sharing in people's sorrows. Good lessons to learn at a young age. Now I have to go get a kleenix.

hestermom said...

I'm so sorry Gina, and yet, how gracious of God to give you compassion in a most easy-to-accept way!! A little one with skin on. =)

heidibelle said...

That brought tears to my eyes...